Old 05-23-10, 10:14 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When backpacking I would never camp close to someone else - both for their privacy and mine. There's always another spot, though maybe not as desirable.

When bike touring I also like privacy, but lots of times you can't get it. Many of the hiker/biker spots I've been to consist of an open space with a picnic table or two. You pick a spot for your tent and share the table. While not my favorite setup, it's not bad. Most bike tourers go to sleep pretty early after a long day in the saddle and with another one scheduled for the next day. Also, I've made some friends who ended up being part of my tour.

Another case is when I've got a campsite and the campground is full. When bike tourers come and ask if they can share my spot, I'm thinking, "No!" but I always say yes. What if the shoe was on the other foot? I've never had a bad experience when I did this, and I've met some nice people. It's just that my natural inclination is for privacy.