Old 05-24-10, 12:04 PM
coldfeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
This works fairly well, but there's a trick: If you just slap the padding (sold as moleskin; look in the foot care section of the supermarket; Dr. Scholl's is one brand) over the wound, you'll still be pressing on it when you ride. You can buy the stuff in "donut" shapes or in sheets and cut your own so it surrounds the wound, but there's a hole over the owie itself to relieve pressure. Helps moderately, anyway, though after awhile the increased pressure around the wound may start to cause trouble.
When you MUST ride, a local anesthetic (Lanacaine is one) can deaden the nerves, though the damage will continue
That could work too, but wasn't what I was describing. Here's a link to the brand I first used in the UK.

http://www.jejamescycles.com/compeed...s-id41090.html

You can find these as a "BandAid" brand, blister or wound patch, and they're now available in various store brand versions as well. the biggest version I've seen locally is about 2.5" x 2" and oddly enough, that one has the original name "Compeed" printed on the protection paper. I've used a couple of those overlapping to cover a patch of gravel rash on my thigh. Worked well. When applied, the area with damage turns the plaster soft and white, ( absorbs moisture from the wound ) with a padding effect, really helps to relieve pain from any knock or abrasion.