Old 05-24-10, 04:01 PM
buzzkill87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chain stuck between chain-stay and sprocket cluster??

I am a complete newbie to the biking world and know absolutely nothing about bikes but I've been commuting to work on my road bike and I love it! Problem is that I recently bought a used sears-roebuck free spirit 10-speed and the chain keeps coming off.

It happened two times in the rear when I went up small hills. I shifted down to the lowest gear. I simply pulled the chain off and put it back on and it seemed to work fine but then two days ago the same thing happened. I was going up a steep hill so I shifted down and all of a sudden my chain got wedged between the smallest gear thing and the metal bar right by the gears (excuse my lack of bike terminology).

How can I fix this problem? I've tried pulling out the chain with a lot of force but it's wedged really tight. My boyfriend couldn't get it out and I don't want to screw up my bike. I've thought about just buying a wrench and taking off the back wheel, then putting the chain back on but will that fix the problem long-term? Is there a larger problem that needs to be fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love riding my bike and really want to be able to use it everyday without fear that I'll have to end up walking it home...

THANKS!