View Single Post
Old 05-24-10, 06:31 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
I thought about this one and I answered top 20% - what is your definition for the population of 50+ cyclist? If it's they guy who gets out at a minimum of twice a year then I would be in the top 20% - and so would most if not all people who participate here - I would venture to say if you rode more than 25 miles/week you would be in the top 20% no matter what your speed or the elevations you climb.

You don't have to ride 1k miles/week like some seem to and you don't have to climb El Capitan in the big ring to be in the top 20% of the 50+ cyclists out there.

I'm not going to down grade myself or any of my fellow 50+'s - HTFU, we are all in the top 20 percentile of the entire 50+ cycling population out there.
^^^This.

I remarked to a patron at work today that she had gotten some sun over the weekend. "I rode my bike out to my son's house yesterday," she told me. It turns out, it was ten miles round trip, and it took her two hours each way. Meanwhile, I rode a metric yesterday at 16.5 mph average, which included several miles of road construction where I was in the single-digits.

Now, compared the lady I talked with at the library, I'm in the top 20%. Compared to say, Hermes (for speed) or 10-Wheels (for distance), I'm somewhere below average.