View Single Post
Old 04-21-05, 12:42 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My sympathies dude I haven't had a bike stolen in circumstances quite that sudden, but still... it's always a shock to find your bike gone or missing parts. Hope you can get another soon. I'm a grad student and now own 4 bikes because I buy used road bikes from the early 90's for dirt cheap (apparently, they're the least fashionable type of bike around )

Originally Posted by Umbra
This happened yesterday.

Went out the door for work 6:45 AM. Had my Giant Boulder SE P(nothing special, bought it used on eBay to keep as a knock-around bike to play with until I could afford a nice road bike) with me. I keep it inside to keep it safe from thieves (had a securely locked up Trek 800 stolen off the bike rack earlier this year). So, I carried it up the steps and out the door, then remember I left my folder inside that I needed for class after work. Left the bike leaning next to my apt. building and ran inside. I was in...for maybe 20-25 seconds TOPS. Found the folder, put it in backpack, dug around make sure I had all the papers I needed. Come outside, bike is gone.

And around here, on a college campus, 6:45 AM means the area is a ghost town. Students are all asleep. NO cars on the road. I have long open streets all around me. So I ran all around looking up and down the streets to see if I saw some ******* riding it away...and nothing. I checked behind the building, bushes, in the building's hallways...spritning back and forth, and nothing. Just poof...gone. What kind of thief is waiting around that early? Who has the ****in balls to see me jump off the bike...run inside...and still know they'd have enough time to grab and it disappear before I came back out?

It just blew my mind. Deserted, outdoor area...run inside...come back...bike is gone without a trace. Sigh. People make me sick.