Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb View Post
Why is the word "good" associated with speed? One of the things I dislike about cycling is all the talk about speed. Most of the time I ride alone because when i have ridden with groups and clubs, most of the riders were hell-bent on going as fast as they could. What does it truly mean to be "good"? Cycling is not a competition sport unless you make it one. I cycle for the physical pleasure of it. What difference does it make how fast I go? I also hike. If I walk fast does that make me a "good" hiker? The bicycle industry has fabricated the need for speed so it can sell all kinds of expensive, and mostly unnecessary, ultra light equipment. The bicycle community has embraced the idea of speed, largely do to the hype generated by the industry itself. Do you, as an over 50 cyclist, really care how fast you go? Of course it you are a racer, then that is your primary concern, but many people just enjoy riding a bike for fun and exercise.
Speed isn't a qualification to be good...not falling down a lot might be. However, speed is an indication that you are improving, and if I'm not getting better why do it? If all you do is pedal around the block everyday without stretching yourself I can't see where the exercise part is kicking in. Sure it's better than sitting on the couch, but I'm looking to improve and one of the ways to measure that is average speed.