Old 05-27-10, 09:47 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glacious
Being 6'2" 205lbs, and rarely putting any extra weight on the bike, I don't need wheels to hold 230lbs every day, maybe once or twice a year for light tours. I'm trying to see why many people are obsessed with spoke count being the deciding factor in a solid wheel. There seems to be two schools of thought here. 1) high spoke count is a good wheel 2) a solidly built wheel trumps anything (ie you can have a wheel with 20 spoke count, be much stronger than one with 36).

and yes, if i can have less weight where it matters most... it'd be a good thing.
if you really want a 24h, then go for a falcrum racing 7, which has more spokes where it counts. It's laced exactly like a 32h on the drive side, but uses less on the side that doesn't need it.

It's not too hard to build this type of wheel. I've built several triplet rear wheels myself.