Old 04-21-05, 09:52 PM
Black Bud
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The disc brakes probably were "detuned" in the shop--or, at the manufacturer--due to liablilty issues that could crop up if a "newbie" got hurt while trying to learn to use disc brakes properly!

I know my "Sirrus" disc came with resin pads and unusually "soft" steel rotors for that reason; when the rotors did not last, I had them replaced with metallic (sintered) pads and "normal" Deore rotors front and rear!

The rear brake--with any bike brake system--is "weaker" than the front, anyhow (it is roughly a 70/30 ratio).
With discs, this normally does not mean a hill of beans--the rear will stop you cold, by itself!! Fast!!

BTW: I hate 'modulators' on my brakes, and have them removed before I take the bike home!

It's just as "easy" to learn how to use the darned things properly...you can do it on a single ride, if you do it right...and live where there are mucho stop signs and traffic lights just waiting to help you out with "stopping practice".

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"