Old 05-27-10, 11:57 PM
Leo H.

Bikes: 1999 RANS Rocket Saturn V; K2 Attack FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Things to do for cyclists

I dunno. I don't have a problem with what you're doing, but were I to do it, I would not post images on the 'net about it. Some things are better left under that bushel we keep our light shining in.

I picked winners for my personal raffle for Bike to Work Day and sent a note to the company newsletter and notified the recipients. All were pleasantly surprised. I did get a bike tuneup donated from a local shop, but from that shop, for the new commuters' prizes I myself bought 3 seatbags, 3 multitools, 3 patchkits and a certificate for a new inner tube and gave them away to 3 riders.

I figure if the new folks are tempted with free swag, they'll be more likely to continue as well as talking about the bicycle bounty to their coworkers, possibly getting one of THOSE unriders riding some day.

Also I had a brief constructive conversation from a State roads worker about my request to have a deep and wide seam filled where it intersects a section of the bike path I now take to work. It's so deep, I usually ride over a couple of feet from the marked bike lane (into marked off no man's land) to roll over a section not quite as deep.
And THAT's as I'm taking off from the stop light, if I'm running down the roadway with a green light, I still have to slow way down to keep my rim from getting pronged. He was asking me what I was talking about in the road and the bike lane as he was at the offending intersection and I quickly got him to see, as he was standing at the bike lane at the time, how the seam between the two roadbeds is problematic for a bicyclist.

He said he see what he can do about filling the seam in and I thanked him for his time and attention.

Leo H.
Sun Valley, NV