Old 05-29-10, 07:37 AM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My home-made bike w e-bay no-name CF frame -- I love It!

So I bought a carbon fiber MTB frame from China on E-bay. I had researched it a little and found that serious MTBers (which I am not) have been using these frames with no problem. I was out to built a hybrid, not a serious off-road bike. Frame, CF seat post, head set and CF handle bars just over $400! I took parts off of an entry-level Giant hardtail and swapped around some other parts I had weighing stuff as I went. The CF frame does, indeed, seem to absorb bumps remarkably well, so I swapped the tires for faster 26 x 1.25 at 80-90 psi. The bike handles potholes and going over curbs nicely even with the fork locked out. Last of all, I had to have my favorite sign artist decorate it, which is why I didn't post a picture sooner. I have a CF road frame on order from the same dude in China and will cannibalize a couple of other bikes to build a flat bar with CF fork that will be even a little lighter and faster.

Here it is: