Old 06-02-10, 06:31 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know exactly what it weighs, but it's not terribly light. I remembered it being 7005, which was verified by someone's scan of the brochure. It says "7005 front triangle" which suggests that the rest of the bike isn't 7005?

A few guys on Retrobike have had head tube failures like this, but for some reason the rest of the bike seems to hold up. I'm guessing they just went too thin on the head tube wall thickness or something.

Looking at it, and admitting that I know nothing about this sort of thing, it seems like the thing to do would be to pull the headset out (it's actually a 1-1/4 to 1-1/8 adapter), weld the crack, grind the bead down, then slip a slightly larger diameter piece of tubing over the top of the head tube and weld that extra piece in place to reinforce the whole thing. Maybe it's not that simple, I dunno.

I'm an old guy, and I don't do anything fancy. I just like going fast on single track and keeping the rubber on the ground, so it doesn't have to be bomb-proof. I would however, prefer not to be impaled by a frame that suddenly lets go underneath me. I wonder if there's a way to check the frame to see if it's otherwise sound.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega