Thread: Peugeot PKN10
View Single Post
Old 06-02-10, 02:42 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
It's just plain old carbon steel, perhaps so-called Carbolite 103. (Although not if Carbolite 103 is specifically seamless, since the PKN-10 forks and stays are all-too-visibly seamed.) The PR-10/PKN-10 is a great choice for someone who actually wants to ride a classic bike, because it has double-butted Reynolds 531 where it really counts. You get all the benefits of a PX-10, with a slight weight penalty, at a bargain price (you did very well). I would still be riding my 1980 if it had been a 55cm instead of a 57.

The only downside of owning a Peugeot of that vintage is the difficulty of finding Swiss-thread bottom brackets. Otherwise, I appreciate having (just) enough clearance for true 700Cx28mm tires and a great compromise between efficiency/stiffness and comfort/resilience.
Yes, Carbolite 103 fork blades are seamed. Maybe that's why the forks were replaced at one time to a Vitus chromed model.
Carbolite tubes actually give a very lively feeling ride. I think the only think going against it was the weight penalty and its being non-butted. If you can cancel out some of the wieght with some lightweight components, and good wheels and tires, the PKN could give a stock contemporary PX10 a run for it's money, IMO.

Chombi