View Single Post
Old 06-03-10, 01:12 AM
Area_Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me ask you guys something. I just talked a lot of **** about how easy cycling is compared to running. I was thinking about doing a century in a day. My usual ride is 16.2 miles. If I did that five times, that would make 97.2 miles so I guess I could do a vestigial run up the driveway or something after that to finish it off. Would it be a legit century if I did it in five sets of 16.2 miles with an hour rest in between each trip? I know it's cheating to have five one hour rests during a century, but would it technically be complete? There are two 700' elevation gains in those 16.2 so it's at least not totally flat. I would have a total of ten 700' elevation gains over the century. A total of 7000 feet of elevation gain. I used to hike Mt Baldy once a week and that was about 5500 feet from Manker Flats to the summit, and I puked several times over the ten or fifteen times I did that hike.

My normal time for the 16.2 ride is an hour and 20-30 minutes, so if I figured it at two hours with a one hour rest after each set I think I could possibly pull it off.

Would that be a legit century that I could stand on and talk about here without looking too stupid? It would be a 7AM to midnight kind of a thing.