USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Baron
I found a 'aesthetically rough' but sound except for the rubber tires Raleigh Super Gran Prix this past weekend at a garage sale. $3

Problem was the frame is WAY too big for me probably a 62 or more. I'm a 56-58. I sense chances of finding a super gran prix frame are slim to none, and am not a 'frame to bike' builder but would like to try to build a touring bike. What raleigh frame model (if I can find one in a 56-58) would work for these components (if I can find one)?

Appreciate any info.
I can post the components if needed but figured most of you folks would already know.

Thanks.
The Super Grand Prix is/was sort of a compromise between a Raleigh Grand Prix (The frame), and a Raleigh Super Course (most of the components). Either type of frame (Grand Prix or Super Course) should work fine with the bits you've got there. If possible, I'd lean towards the Super Course because it has the better frame and because the '77 & '78 models came with the narrow 700c Weinmann rims which I'm presuming are what you have on there. The Grand Prix came with 1-1/4" rims, which I think are 27" - which means you may, or may not be able to transplant the brake calipers.