View Single Post
Old 06-03-10, 08:36 PM
ptle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Banzai
Aside from the long hours and low profit margins...

I'm selling a fork on e-bay right now (it's a C'dale Ultra fork, for a road bike...this makes it road cycling related) and a potential buyer just asked me to go measure the steerer in inches for him.

The cut steerer length in millimeters is already in the listing.

After a got over my incredulity at the inability to use a popular search engine or do basic math, I thought about unloading that incredulity and then forbidding the individual from buying the fork.

I just don't have enough patience with people to run a bike shop.
I feel like I would have the same problem. Too many ignorant people. However the ones that think they know it all aren't very fun either. Also I'd feel bad about the prices. I've seen "basic tuneups" that cost about $50. It would probably take me less than half an hour to give a bike a basic tune up... and the skill/knowledge required is very minimal.

However if I were to run a bike shop, customer service would be my number one priority. I feel like most LBS get lots of money from returning customers or referred customers.

I don't ever spend money at a bike shop, because I can't afford it (well I could, but I can usually get parts for cheaper). Also, I do my own labor. However there is one LBS in town that I would have no problems spending money at because the owner is very, very friendly, unlike other big LBS store that only cater to the rich (which I'm not).