View Single Post
Old 06-04-10, 03:11 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kuan
At some point there has to be a cutoff where more lumens out of one unit doesn't make much of a difference anymore. If I had 1400 lumens I'd prefer it maybe 600 on the handlebars and 800 on the helmet. Something like that. Yeah.
Yeah, but what if the 1400 lumens lit up so much area that you didn't even need a helmet light? Wouldn't it be nicer to have it on the bars and not have 2 separate lights?

I know I find a helmet light a bit of a PITA - looking behind you on a street *will* usually blind the car behind you as you point the helmet light in the persons face (I guess I'm thinking stopped at an intersection). Not a fan of putting more weight on my helmet, or having the cord run down into my jersey pocket (it's annoying when I get off the bike). Don't like having a 2nd battery and everything. And though in some ways it doesn't seem like it makes sense, I don't like the feeling with a helmet light like I *have* to be facing the direction I'm going in order to be able to see that way - in other words, I can't look off to the side.

This is a genuine question - would there be an advantage to having a helmet light if the bar light covered everything?

I have a Seca 900, and there's absolutely no reason for it to be brighter than it already is. It already lights up the road than when I'm riding the bike trail next to a road and a car comes along, their headlights don't even effect what I can see. That wasn't the case with the Seca 700 which I also tried, or some of my other lights. But my hope is that the additional lumens will go towards covering a larger area with the beam - according the articles, the new light is supposed to be wider and go farther down the road.