Old 06-04-10, 03:31 PM
lineinthewater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
A well mounted tire with no defects will hold a LOT of overpressure. Theoretically a long, continuous period of braking on a steep downhill on a hot day might cause enough overpressure, but I would be the brakes would fail first. I would agree with a defective install.
Perhaps it was a defective install, but I'm always very careful to seat the tube properly (and not pinch it) when installing new tubes. It's the 6 months that is giving me pause on calling it a poor install ... but I guess as everyone says the heat can do crazy things.

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
By bad braking technique I meant dragging your brakes on long downhills so the rims get really hot (and sometimes tires blow off); didn't mean to imply that I thought that's what you were doing since you don't even mention a hill (or braking for that matter). But that's how it typically happens - happened to me ONCE but I see it quite a bit on hot days on the local mountain.
Didn't even think about that angle. I wasn't braking at all, but it's an interesting point.

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Still, lower pressure on hot days is a good idea, or letting a little air out if you ever notice the "slight repetitive bump" again.
Will do.