Old 06-07-10, 02:54 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Most amazing/exciting/death defying thing you have done on a bicycle?

Thinking back over the years after watching a video and I was recalling some of my 'less smart' moments as a teenager on a BMX bike. Now admittedly there are professionals out there who really fuzzy the line, but I am talking about you, personally.

In the summer of 86 IIRC we had built a ramp on the pipeline behind a friends house across the street. At first it was just one of those single sheet of plywood with a drop off, but quickly became more advanced. The start ramp ended up being four sheets of plywood with a two sided lip. One was flat and the other had a curve to it for more lift. The landing ramp consisted of five sheets, with the landing pad itself being double ply, and fully moveable so that we could increase or decrease the jump distance.
Normally we would space the ramps about 15-20 feet apart and practice the jumps and various tricks we were learning. "Freestyle" was a newly coined sport in Cali at the time that we didn't even know about, so we were working on what we thought was our own thing.
At one point we decided to move the ramps 40' apart and jump it. I personally went about 50' and wanted no more of it...I tacoed my back tire, and bent a pedal axle...my best friend jumped it at full out speed just to see how far he could go. Landed at 54' towards the bottom of the landing ramp itself. He instantly broke a pedal and put so much force on the gooseneck as to bend it over almost touching the front tire. He continued rolling out of control and did a header into a fence that just about knocked him out.