Old 06-08-10, 03:38 PM
RatedZ

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by dminor
I disagree with this. Yes, there are people who push the envelope of what's possible in any sport but not everyone does it for glory or a photo spread. Some of us just like to continue to progress in the discipline we've chosen - - to do something a little better, a little bigger, with a little more flair and control than the time before.

I'm 55 now and am hitting gaps, step-ups, step-downs etc. that would have either scared the crap out of me to attempt or would have splattered me just five years ago. I choose to do this, not because I think I'm going to impress some of the groms on the hill or get some props from a pic on PinkBike but just because I couldn't do it before and now I can. Do I take risks? Yes! But are they calculated and do I work up to the in bite-size chunks? Yes again. Have I hurt myself trying? Yes; and now I do a little bit better at listening to that tiny voice in the back of my head that tells me sometimes to cool it and save it for another day.

That's what learning and progression are all about.
There's a difference between progressing and doing something stupid like taking a 100-foot free-fall on a bicycle. I'm not talking about basic risks, I'm talking about sheer stupidity.