Old 06-09-10, 04:48 PM
CB88

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Ventura Comp Femme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,
Just got my first road bike a week ago, haven't ridden since I was a 'kid' (okay, I'm only 21, so I'm still sort of a kid). Anyway, while I've always ridden bike shop bikes, no wal mart crap, I've never done anything to maintain them; I've never put any miles on them so it hasn't seemed necessary. However, now that my bike is among my most expensive possessions, I find myself wanting to know more about how to maintain it (read: how to clean it so parts don't begin to rust and fall off). I essentially need to know how to do a cursory cleaning of the bike (what is important, how many miles, what products are necessary etc.). Many websites seem to advocate that it is important to remove your front and rear wheels and various other parts of your bike, just to do a weekly cleaning. This seems excessive. I was of the opinion that wiping off visible dirt and buying some lube for the chain would be all that was necessary, but let me know if I'm wrong.

Additionally, I know it seems stupid, and I'm sure I could figure it out quickly, but I don't know how to remove a rear wheel or even remove a chain from the bike, so I'm hoping that these are not necessary steps. Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated, thanks