View Single Post
Old 06-09-10, 07:58 PM
KrautFed
cars are fun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a photographer and I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. A serious design flaw (IMO) actually makes it kind of nice for cycling. I'm 6'1" and the waist band is over my belly button when properly fitted... i.e. way too high. I would actually have to NOT recommend it for taller hikers... for me, I have to make the "stomach" strap very tight to make weight distribution comfy... however not being able to breath through stomach isnt exactly comfy! This pack can carry some serious gear, and does so tightly and securely. Tripods are the weak points of any backpack and will require straps/bungee to keep them still, but they will still be out in the wind so to speak. Otherwise, the pack is very sleek and streamlined. Photographers are used to it, but it has to be mentioned... photo gear is HEAVVVVY. I will be working on a pannier/rack setup for my next bike (in month or so). Can I recommend the 400 AW for cycling?... NO based on price alone.

Here's a video of me using it as hiking pack... carrying D300+grip, 12-24, 24-70, 70-200 VR, 300 f4, Teleconverters, 6+ lb tripod, and enough misc items to get MacGyver into Fort Knox.