View Single Post
Old 06-11-10, 01:42 AM
eventhorizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lost control on descent

After a few miles of riding my new bicycle that had been fitted by the LBS, I encountered a descent (not my first). I had the bike in high gear and had the brakes gently applied. The bike was accelerating on the descent and the braking wasn't helping much. Unfortunately, the front wheel started wobbling as the bike picked up speed and then I fell off the bike because of the uncontrollable wobble. Luckily, I didn't crash into anyone or anything. I sustained some scrapes and bruises, and my bicycle sustained some scrapes too. Since it has a carbon fork and seatpost, I don't plan to ride it until the LBS checks it.

How would they know whether to replace the carbon parts or not? What should we look for?

The frame is aluminum and it didn't sustain any visible damage. Derailleurs seem ok. The front brake/wheel is out of alignment. The front reflector broke off. The handlebar is no longer perpendicular to the direction of motion -- it's off by a few degrees.

Any tips on how I should handle this problem? Is this shimmy? Jobst Brandt says that adjusting the bike won't stop shimmy and others claim that it is inherent in the geometry. I have a Felt Speed 30. Was it a bad choice? Any tips on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!