Old 06-11-10, 01:29 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
As far as I know, cyclists aren't going to be getting freebie speedometers. In fact, I think the goals is to show that elected people are doing something about the bicycle menace, and not to, you know, make things safer. So that would pretty much rule speedometers out. ( As an aside, a bike computer has always been the first thing I've got for every bike I've owned, and it's always been set up before I'd ride the bike home from the shop. I always felt it was a safety issue, in some vague, undefined way. Here's what we'd call an "edge case" in the software industry, to validate my opinion... )
You're probably right about that. But MUPs are suppose to be the place where cyclists can be cyclists. I agree with you that a bike computer/speedometer is something that everyone who buys a bike should purchase at the same time and have installed before leaving the bike shop.

I'm sure they'll take the line that a condition of riding on public trials is to do so according to a set of rules, and that anybody who can't or won't do that, can't use the trails. Much like driving. In theory I have no problem with that ... but I think it's a bit draconian in this case.
I agree with you that there should be rules in place for using public trails, but those rules should make sense. A speed limit of 10MPH doesn't make any kind of sense, will joggers also be required to maintain a speed of no faster than 10MPH?

About 15 miles north is the Burke Gilman Trail, another urban MUP. A several mile section that gets a lot of use ( from beloved Gas Works Park out to the University Bridge ) is divided into two trails, clearly labeled for bike and for pedestrian use. I'm not sure I've ever seen a cyclist on the walking trail, but the last time I was on this MUP I saw a group of joggers stop at the fork for a moment, and then continue their run along the bike trail. It's very clearly marked which is which, but ours is a little bit wider ( to allow for passing ), and so pedestrians ( especially four abreast ) are the biggest obstacle on this trail.
It would be nice if those joggers were reported to law enforcement to be dealt with. And if they are on the bike side of the trail and get hit then it should be pointed out to them that they more than the cyclist is the one who is at fault. And I know what you mean about pedestrians using the bicycle side of MUPs. The few times every couple of months that I go out to the VA and ride the Pinellas Trial I've seen more pedestrians on the bike side of the trail than I have bikes on the pedestrian side of the trail.

I have also seen cyclists riding two abreast and when encountering a cyclist coming at them from the opposite direction staying two abreast "forcing" them into the pedestrian side of the trail. Doesn't common sense, and courtesy dictate that they go single file when encountering another cyclist so that they don't have to go into the pedestrian side of the trail?

My point is that if elected folks were more interested in improving public safety and less interested in pandering to get votes, they might also require pedestrians to use ped-specific sections of trail, where these are available. And, if city designers want cyclists to use MUPs and stay out of traffic ... hobbling our speed isn't going to help any.
You are correct, and sadly more likely than not that isn't going to change anytime soon.