Old 06-13-10, 12:34 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
OK, a few tips, partly echoing others here....

Touring is not necessarily about gunning across the country at top speed. It can be about that, and while it is not my preference I don't see a problem with it.

However, I would say that if your reason to tour is to see a handful of specific attractions that are huge distances apart (e.g. "I want to see the Grand Canyon and Nashville on the same trip,") a bicycle probably isn't really the way to go. Cycle touring is about the challenge and/or the ability to really soak up the countryside, rather than "getting somewhere fast."

Also, you should realize that a solo tour is a very challenging endeavor, and if you haven't done it before and aim to ride at a high speed from the get-go, you could very easily burn out in the first week or two. Happens all the time, in fact.

Ergo, I highly recommend you ease into it and learn your limits before mentally committing to a huge tour. E.g. figure out a possible gear setup, and go on tour for a long weekend or a full week. Start with a mellower pace and see how you feel after 2-3 days of riding and camping. From there, you can get a much more realistic idea of a likely touring pace, as well as make adjustments to your setup.

If you still want to do the super-fast touring, your best bet is something like PacTOUR, which is run by a couple that were top RAAM competitors. They do a variety of tours; as an example, they do a van-supported Northern transcontinental tour, 30 days, 3500 miles, average of 116 miles a day. The riders are generally in a paceline on diamond-frame bikes and ride at 16-20mph. They do shorter tours as well, at similar speeds and distances. All are pretty much guaranteed to kick your ass.

As a contrast, Adventure Cycling does its unsupported southern tier route of 3100 miles in 60 days, including 9 rest days.

As to recumbent vs diamond frame, IMO it's pretty much a personal preference. Plenty of people use diamond-frame bikes and go around the world at a pace they like.

I'd say you should reconsider whether your goals are truly best suited by a bicycle tour, and figure it out from there.