Old 06-13-10, 04:10 PM
JTred
StumbleUpon Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Congrats on your $15 deal, Jtred. The light action derailleur is a good one -( I currently have these on a couple of my own bikes and like them a lot.)

- I don't know what you mean by "It will probably see a lot of rails-to-trails" - but before you ride it far, you should hunker down and do some serious maintenance on it: The grease in the cups has probably hardened up - and likely you'll need new housings and cables to keep things flowing smoothly. Also take a close look at those tires - if they're dried out/cracking, you'll need to replace them too. You can buy good, serviceable 27" tires very economically, at a lot of on-line stores.
Thanks for the replies everyone, I was nervous about being laughed out of the forum. The tires are, in fact, cracking and that will probably be the first thing I do to it when I get some extra money. This bike will probably be a work in progress for some time.

Rails-to-trails means the Youghiogheny River Trail, a flat cinder bike trail a few miles from my house. For now I don't see myself doing any trips much longer than 20 miles. At least until I can get back into shape. Again thanks for all the replies and for the kind welcome.

Edit:
Originally Posted by garage sale GT
'86 was the first year it was butted. '85 and earlier had straight-gauge crmo. It was about a pound heavier and in my experience the ride was nothing special.
This frame is double butted, so it must be at least an '86.

Last edited by JTred; 06-13-10 at 04:16 PM.