MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
One other possibility to consider is that it may not entirely be the bike but might be you. Worn chains sometimes creak or click as they shift forward on the sprockets under high torque. Most riders vary the torque throught the pedal stroke, some more than others. Some also favor one leg or push harder with one from time to time especially in low RPM hill climbing. This causes a clicking sound to appear somewhat synchronous to the position of the crank, when it is in fact synchronous to changing torque. It's hard to diagnose these but if the sound only occurs at high torque worn-chain creep is a definite possibility.
This was actually my first thought 400 miles ago when it began. I took it to my LBS (who built up the bike for me last fall). He rode it but didn't notice anything. I'd guess his pedaling technique is better than mine. So it may be me.

This afternoon I tightened the chainring bolts, which were not quite tight enough. Only rode the bike up and down my street before rain came, but it seemed either gone or much less. I'll take it out tomorrow morning if it's not raining. Maybe this has fixed it. But if not, I'll study it longer and eventually get it fixed. Thanks again for all suggestions and info.