View Single Post
Old 06-14-10, 07:09 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WillJL
UPDATE: In finishing my shopping for the build, I've opted for the following changes and additions:

-36v 20Ah Lithium Iron Polymer "Ping" battery pack, to be mounted in a Planet Bike "Escape Pod" rack-top box that I'll mount on the Snapdeck. I realize this will steal some of my passenger space, but given the alternatives I've looked at and our current needs, its a sacrifice I'm willing to make, especially considering that I'll be able to lock the battery in a waterproof, padded case that will still have extra space for storage inside it. I'd originally intended to get a 10Ah battery, but after scouring the internet for performance data on the Stokemonkey, and thinking more about how much functional hauling range I'd like to have, I decided to double up on the electrons. I'm guessing that with a 20Ah battery, if I bust ass on the pedals like normal (not just sit back and let the motor do the work), I'll be able to eek out about 30-50 moderately-loaded miles in the hilly terrain around our home. I'd be really interested to hear about how other electrified BD or xtracycle owners have mounted their batteries and what the ups and downs are of your setup. Better yet, I'd like to hear your range capability too! I'll likely have my own data set to share in this regard by mid-August.
Not sure this will work, but there is some wasted space on top of the seatstays behind the seat sloping down below the front of the snap deck. I have plans to get Scott at Porcelain Rocket Works to build me a custom bag to sit there...looks like it can be quite large. I've seen folks carry a large MSR dromedary bag in that location on a touring BD. I'm not sure ho big the battery is you need, but if that works it would use otherwise wasted space and the location is partially concealed by the Xtracycle bags.

Here is some of his work...

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ummy-Frame-Bag

You could also get a frame bag made for the main triangle that would be quite large and get the weight up front to keep as much of the 200lb cargo weight on the back end for your load.