Thread: Tube failure
View Single Post
Old 06-15-10, 12:34 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Someone in another thread (DannoXYZ I think) mentioned this so I'll reiterate for him: After you get the tire mounted but before putting any air into the tube, push the bead gently away from you with your two thumbs so it presses against the other side of the tire. Check to make sure you can't see any tube in the well of the rim -- you should see only rim strip if the tube is truly contained "inside" the tire. Go around the entire circumference of the tire, checking every 5 cm, then flip the wheel around and check the other side the same way. Push the valve stem well up into the tire as well, to make sure the bead gets around the tube here especially. If you see even a tiny sliver of tube showing, it will eventually herniate and lift the bead off the rim. Sometimes you have to remove one bead entirely and start over to get that fershlugginer tube in there where it belongs.

Then proceed to inflate partially as the other posters have said.
I think I may have discovered the cause of the problem. I let out all the air from both tires and the front tire looked good, but the back tube was not all the way in the tire. I could see some tube right where the valve was on both sides. I simply pushed the valve up and it went in and was "loose". I ended up buying an SKS digital pressure guage. The analog Zefal one just looked cheap and I'd rather have digital for like $3 more. It turns out that my Schwinn floor pump was dead on so it was not a tire pressure issue. Just user error. Thank you everyone for posting and helping me out with this. I have learned my lesson from this and thankfully I didn't wreck from this happening.