View Single Post
Old 06-15-10, 11:14 PM
BLKnGLD

Bikes: GT Transeo Ultra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, it all started off with getting my son a bike to commute to the nearby (2 miles one way) university (CSUN). Rather than paying over $100 for a parking permit and dealing with overcrowded parking lots, I was glad he chose to bike it instead. He's rather new to biking (Nintendo generation) and his first thought was a cruiser. I told him he should get something with some gears. This is what he found within the $ range he was looking for... A nice simple bike, not too flashy to get swiped (yes, he's getting a u-lock), good upright riding-position for him to get more acquainted with riding, and an overall very comfortable bike.

A 2009 Raleigh Venture.... It really is a joy to ride this... it's no speed-demon of course, just a really comfy ride.

As I mentioned... that's how it all got started. After riding it myself, it got me reminiscing on my old GT Timberline mountain bike I had in the early 90's and how much I enjoyed riding. So seeking the wife's approval, I asked her what she thought about getting ourselves some bikes. Her knowing I could use the exercise, gave an unenthusiastic okay. That is until we started going shopping. I liked the Transeo from GT, but had a hard time finding the 1.0 Disc model - she fell in love with this, a GT Transeo 2.0 (Medium), and was able to get it on the spot.

I wanted the same thing, however, I wanted the GT Transeo 1.0 Disc (Medium), so I ordered it... but supposedly I was told GT was out of stock (which seemed weird). But they asked if I wanted an GT Transeo Ultra instead... I said hell yeah, but had no confidence that it would come through. Lo and behold, I arrive at the store and they have this in the box (not yet put together):

I think it's a 2009 model, and it has a carbon fork unlike the US spec of a "SR NCX-E RL" suspension fork. But I noticed GT's Euro spec had the carbon fork and actually I prefer it since the bike is fairly light as is at 26lbs and provides a nice combo with the alum frame. In case any one is wondering, I've added the Ergons GX2's, and trying out the Selle Royal Lookin saddle (the stock WTB Pure-V saddle was hurting).

Anyway, so glad we did this... we all are riding short stints daily after work and looking forward to planning some longer rides in the future... and since my company will soon be relocating 6mi away from our house, I definitely foresee commuting my new little toy in the near future.