Old 06-16-10, 06:23 PM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride that very spot many times a month. I'm hoping this part is wrong:

"According to the Kansas Highway Patrol, Ballesteros was riding east in the center of the shoulder on the left-hand side of the highway."

At that spot 254 is a divided highway with a wide grassy median. Kansas law says on divided roadways like that, bicyclists may ride as close to the side of the road as practicable on either the left or right side. However, the right-side shoulder is 10' wide with a 3' rumble strip next to the right lane. The left shoulder is only 3' wide and I don't recall rumble strips on that side. Can't imagine why a cyclist would be in the left shoulder (the race route stays on 254 there). Also missing is any mention of the follow-vehicle. I can't recall ever seeing a RAAM rider come through here without its chase vehicle being within 100 yds or so.

All that said, it's a tragedy. And unfortunately far too many citizens will wonder what a bike was doing out there instead of asking what on earth the driver was doing. Very, very sad for the rider; very, very sad for all cyclists, really.

Godspeed!