View Single Post
Old 06-17-10, 10:52 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rocketshipready
I currently have a Surly LHT for my long tours, but was looking to build up an ultralight tourer for 3-5 day jaunts. Anyone have any recommendations on frames or complete bikes? I was thinking of using the Surly Pacer as I've certainly had good luck with the brand in the past, but I'm not really sure if it's the best frame for the job. I'll probably use a Carradice saddlebag and maybe a Tubus Fly rear rack (only if I can't squeeze/lash everything onto the saddlebag). Would the Pacer be up for the job, or are there more suitable frames?
Combos of saddlebags and handlebar bags work well on most bikes because they need minimal support and you can use a bike without eyelets. However, you're still touring so I think it's best to avoid super short wheelbase, tight tire clearance bikes. So look for a sport tourer, audax, randonneur type geometry that will be comfortable and give you the ability to run 28mm tires. Long days spent on 120psi 23mm tires are hard and on tour you never know when you'll need to go off road a bit.