Old 06-18-10, 11:56 PM
Moozh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have crank bro acids and eggbeaters on my two 'street' bikes (fixed), pretty nice, but today if I had clipless on my mtb I would probably be in hospital and toothless. I sorta lost control going down a particularly rocky descent on an unfamiliar trail and almost got tossed over the handlebars. It was my ability to get my feet down pronto that saved my n00bie bacon big time. I said a quick silent prayer to the gods at that one as I was sure at the time that "this is gonna be real bad.."

I've ridden clipless on my other bikes plenty but this time I know for certain that if I was clipped in, there was no way I would have been in a position to clip out to save my a$$...no way. I dont mind so much going down clipped in while on the MUP or easy going trail but this was big boulder, hard rock, bone breaking, isolated (few folks on the trail when I was riding) territory. I'd have busted my face and who knows what else and I wouldnt have been found for a bit..

That said, it's plain that I have to work on being a more competent rider and a better 'captain' of my own ship before going clipless in an environment as unforgiving as some technical and very rocky trails can be.

I have Truvativ Holzfeller pedals on one bike and Azonic Pookies on another. I like em both, they are rugged and super grippy with the pins an all but I have had a couple of occasions when my feet came off the pedals during very steep and difficult climbs. When that happens I find I am forced to walk up the rest of the ascent as my momentum is totally lost and gravity is calling me down, so I have wished I had clipless at those particular moments but when weighing one against the other I feel that good platforms are best for me right now.

I'd suggest you get comfortable swapping out your pedals for a little while. Perhaps use clipless on easier terrain until your comfort level and reaction to your various scenarios gets intuitive and then later use clipless in more technical environments when you are riding with a friend or three. If you have a mishap, someone can be certain to be there to be of aid to you. Having a "bad moment" out on the technical trails can be a big deal compared to an uh-oh moment on the MUP and it's usually smooth asphalt surface.

The pro's swear by clipless so I suspect it's something to work towards inevitably.

Jeez..what a long winded way to simply say "+1 with 'bikingsouls' suggestion."

Last edited by Moozh; 06-19-10 at 12:02 AM.