Old 06-21-10, 10:29 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gpelpel
What is this appetite for long, hilly ride now? Are you shooting for doubles in 2011?
No.

On this last ride, I found out just how much I was willing to do before getting off the bike for the day. I could have ridden more, but I was out literally from sun-up to sun-down, and don't really fancy riding pre-dawn or post-sunset. I have zero interest in doing doubles.

The Mendocino Monster was a lark that I happened to succeed at - it wasn't something I had been planning or was thinking about. The Hamilton ride was something that I'd always wanted to do, but never seriously considered actually doing. I had previously tried and failed to ride up the back side of Hamilton, and the two times I had summited Hamilton from the San Jose side I had always wondered what lay on the ahead on the east side. I needed to see it, and the opportunity just happened to come at the right time when I was still flush with victory over Mendocino, and it was offered by the right people.

I had a jones, and now it's been satisfied.

S. J. Perelman