View Single Post
Old 08-29-02, 06:58 AM
Bokkie
Jubalayo Unogwaja!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheldon Brown says put the chain on the big ring,and big cog,without going thru the derailer.pull chain tight and add 1".I have yet to find a a reason to argue with that method.
I know what you are getting at, but did I take the quote above from the start of the thread too literally? The phrase I latched onto is "without going thru the derailer" and that implies not passing around the guide and torsion wheels? Trying to memorise it, but the additional length of the chain around the wheels is much longer than tight around big big + 1 link. If the consensus is like the way I drew it, then one extra link could not possibly account for the length required?:confused:

I'm obviously being too obtuse, but I'm trying to convert the words into something I visually latch onto. The reply that had the link (forgive the pun) to what Shimano recommend makes much more sense to me for it includes the guide and torsion wheels and I can see visually what they are saying. Maybe it's time for someone to show me visually what I'm failing to grasp using the power of the lexicon alone.