View Single Post
Old 04-26-05, 09:51 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kymtb
I'm a Honda fan myself. I regularly get between 33-35 MPG in my Civic Ex which lasts me about 2 weeks.

An interesting note. I was listening to the radio this morning at work and they were talking about gas and the taxes on it. Here in KY we pay 34 cents on every gallon of gas. As we are driving less the state and I'm sure the Fed Gov't is getting less money. The DOT has recently begun a test on how to make up for the reduction in taxes. In Oregon, Utah, and New York they're testing a program to tax people based on the mileage they drive. Supposedly they'll use a GPS transponder in the car to record the miles traveled and when you go to fill up the transponder communicates with the pump to accumulate the correct taxes. The taxes are then collected when you pay for the gas.

This is a scary concept. It looks like it won't matter if we drive a hybrid or SUV if they start taxing on mileage we'll all be paying more.
What is to stop someone from filling up a 5 gallon container at a few different locations to avoid the tax?