Old 06-22-10, 10:38 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyryder
I was under the impression that Crist had already signed this.

I've long been convinced that HB 971 is just a string of bad ideas. I hadn't heard that the DUI license restoration had a waiting time of ten years. The term "petition" makes it sounds like it would still be up for review. One would hope that convictions for driving without a license would factor against it.

The problem with the provision for the cyclist to judge the bike lane unsafe, is that many police officers in Florida don't understand the existing exceptions to their FRAP law. Under this law cyclists will be ticketed for not riding in unsafe bike lanes, and have to explain to a judge why they were out in traffic with the "grown up vehicles."
Grey Ryder,

I can verify that. As I've said before the off duty traffic homicide cop that pulled me over a couple of years ago clearly either didn't know or care about the exceptions to the preexisting exceptions to the FRAP portion of the law. And also unfortunately as I'm sure I don't need to say most people (and that includes the LEO's) interpret FRAP to mean that cyclists have to either ride in the gutter pan, or hug the curb instead of actually riding in the lane.

As well as how many are going to know that if we are traveling at the posted speed limit that we are not required to either ride in a bike lane or to ride as FRAP?