Old 06-26-10, 11:38 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thinking again about a Brompton, but I'm 6'3 and 235 pou ds

I've got rid of my car, and I'm doing a lot of business travel by bike and train now. My Downtubes are great for this in terms of riding, and for most train journeys, but I'm finding that under certain circumstances they are challenging. Specifically, trains where they need to be bagged and go on the luggage rack, and hotels are tricky. I've got bags, but folding and getting the bikes into the Dahon Carry On is tricky, and the folded size is large when you're hauling it along a corridor or storing it on a crowded train.

So, I'm wondering again about a Brompton or a clone of. I'm concerned about the same things as I always was, chiefly the very limited gearing and the price. I could purchase the bike on the Cycle To Work scheme, I imagine, but it would still put a strain on the finances, so it would HAVE to be right. Every time I see one folded somewhere, however, I'm just so impressed with the size that I have to consider it again. I'm now under the weight limit, but only just, and when I'm travelling with good locks, a laptop, clothes for 4 days etc etc I wonder whether I'm going to be a problem for the bike. Finally, my height; can one set up a Brompton sensibly for a man my height? What appears to be the right sort of spec would set me back £1060 which on the Cycle To Work scheme equates to about £50 net a month, which I could cover. That would get me 6 speed, the telescopic seatpost, rack and easyroll wheels, mudguards, Kojaks, Brooks, a cover, and the T bag for the front.

I guess what I really need is to ride a Brompton with the telescopic seatpost and see if it fits me.