View Single Post
Old 06-27-10, 05:44 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I have recent experience with Dura Ace 10 sp and Campy Super Record 11 sp. I've never used a SRAM gruppo but I've used some of their components. I have several friends who use SRAM and some like it more than others.

I like my Campy on my my Pinarello because it's an Italian bike. However, I've had ongoing challenges getting it tuned correctly and having it stay tuned. I can get it shifting perfectly, and then when I try and change cassettes on the same wheels it requires a major adjustment. I'm guessing that is tied more to the tighter tolerances of an 11sp setup. I've had a shifter replaced under warranty. To me Campy is much louder than Dura Ace both in shifting and the drivetrain. It feels and sounds clunky but the action is generally very positive. It can take more force to move the chain on Campy than Shimano. I like the thumb button and it's an easy adjustment to earn to shift with Campy. I don't have enough mileage with the Campy to be able to compare durability.

Dura Ace to me is just hard to beat. It is very easy to install and set up-and it stays in adjustment. It is silky smooth to shift and very quiet. It has a lot of compatibility with SRAM components and cassettes. I have both a pure road setup along with another setup with Dura Ace shifters, DA FD along with a XTR RD and SRAM XX cassette. Both work beautifully. I find I can shift several gears on the Dura Ace just like I can on the Campy.

My Prince needs Campy and has Campy and I'm totally happy with it. However I'm partial to Dura Ace if given a choice of a non Italian bike build.