View Single Post
Old 06-28-10, 01:58 PM
az2008

Bikes: Schwinn Avenue (Walmart), Former owner of Mongoose Paver. (I have the notable distinction of purchasing the last Paver!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djleyo
after some years of not owning a bike i got one for my birthday last week .
it is a Genesis V2100 made by Kent international.
I'm not a mountain biker. But, I just wanted to encourage you not to let the anti-Walmart (and anti-retail generally) folks get you down. They have valid points about how a retail bike can be a money pit, costing you as much as it would have if you'd just bought a bike-shop bike to begin with. But, that sentiment ignores the simple reality that you may never have been willing to spend $500 on a bike after years of not riding (and not knowing how you'd take to it).

If the bike got your riding, that's a huge positive. Adding upgrades can have the same pragmatic benefit: Learning maintenance; discovering your preferred riding position to help you make a more informed purchase of a $500 bike; accumulating parts and accessories that can be used on another bike (perhaps a used bike-shop bike that needs rehab?).

It's definitely true that you can end up spending as much as you would have if you'd just bought a $500 bike. But, if you're getting more out of it this way (experience and a gradual approach that was right for you), don't let anyone kill your joy. As long as you understand the pros and cons, do what's right for you.

All roads lead to Rome.