Old 06-28-10, 08:55 PM
John Coloccia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mounting pump on the bottom of the downtube OK, or will I turn into a toad?

I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I'm still fumbling around a bit. I can't believe how much great information is here!!

I have a Topeak Road Morph pump, and the only places it fits are on top of the downtube (not giving up my primary bottle cage!) and on the bottom of the downtube. It doesn't fit on the seat tube, and I'm not putting in on the top tube because it's always in the way.

I heard that if I put it on the bottom of the downtube, the pump will ingest everything from sand to small rodents, and then one day I'll have a flat and get stranded 500 miles from nowhere in the middle of a blizzard, and then will promptly die of embarrassment when I realize my pump no longer works.

Normally I wouldn't care because most of the pumps I've owned are useless for inflating an actual tire, but I'm REALLY REALLY liking the Road Morph, and at $40 a pop it's too expensive to do a lifetime buy of 20 of them.

Has anyone mounted a pump like this and lived to tell the tale? I'll assume if no one responds it's because they're all dead now and it's a really bad idea.