Old 06-28-10, 10:58 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 383
yup. i've been googling those legs for the last half hour.

so i guess the science behind it is that compression tights would keep the pressure higher in the legs so varicose veins don't form. so unless you want to have hincapie legs, compress/elevate those suckers. the picture alone would probably make an effective advertisement.
the compression sock may prevent, or just slow down the process. there are previous threads on the topic, and i guess genetics play a role. i love testing new recovery techniques. we all get the heavy legs, they feel sluggish, muscles feel tight, and it bothers me when i have to sit or stand in the same position for extended periods of time. you should have seen me in the theaters the other day, i felt bad for the people next to me because i was squirming all over the place trying to extend my legs. yesterday i did 1.5 hour drive each way to LA and would have loved these socks.

i did tons of research, like with anything else i buy, and finally came down to asking a good friend (triathlete, cat2 roadie) who works at a local nytro cycling shop. i said "compression socks, fad or function?" and he answered "2xu=fad, cep=function."

here is the basic description you will see when researching them:

"By compressing the surface veins, arteries and muscles, the circulating blood is forced through narrower channels. The arterial pressure is increased, causing more blood to return to the heart and less blood to pool in the feet. Compression socks are tightest at the ankles, gradually become less constrictive towards the knees. The soles of compression socks may be heavily padded for better shock absorption."

so, what i like to do is use "the stick" first to loosen up the muscles then throw the socks on.