View Single Post
Old 06-29-10, 08:15 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I think the biggest variable is the kid(s). If you have a kid who wants to do it, and can stand several days on the bike, then no problem.

I took my daughter on her first overnight bike tour when she was 9; we rode old three-speed bikes about 40 miles each day, camping out one night on a sod farm near a friend's house. She was 9.

After that I very luckily picked up a used Counterpoint Opus II, and we've put about 1800 miles on it --more than half of that being three or four short tours with my daughter. The longest was 6 days of riding, camping out two nights.

Here's a few pictures from a three day tour we did at the beginning of June, around southern NJ:

This tandem weighs more than two solo bikes put together, but it's very comfortable (especially for the stoker). So far I haven't been able to fit her on a solo bike I consider good enough for touring. She's a little kid and I want her on a bike small enough that she can handle it well. Maybe by next summer....

She wants to ride across the country. So do I, but I'm not sure I can get away with a summer vacation that long.