Old 06-30-10, 11:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I've beat the snot out of my Ultegra freehub (fh-6600 model) at 230 pounds and riding on some very rough roads (including gravel forestry roads); the axle is as straight as the day is long. There's no need to drop the coin for a Phil hub when the 105 will work just as well for less than half the price.

The cartridge bearings in the Phils make them a lower routine maintenance choice, but a pain when you finally do wear them out and need to replace them. The 105s just require an adjustable and a cone wrench to tear them down and fully service them. Not saying that one is better than the other; just a comparison... The 105s will require more frequent maintenance than the Phils, but it's easier to do. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
The Phil Wood Field Serviceable hubs are much simplier to work on than you think. My rear hubs require two 5 mm wrenches to completely disassemble. Front hubs are a little more difficult but certainly not that hard to disassemble.

Cost is certainly a consideration but...Damn! They are purty If you got the cash and the desire...go with Phil. If you want something that will do the job, either will do.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!