View Single Post
Old 07-06-10, 09:24 AM
NightShift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the Origin8 drops are kinda heavy. Drop bars are pretty cheap and will be lighter, but you would have to have compatible brakes and shifters.

The drop bar ends don't include a hood position (but why no one makes something like that is beyond me), but you can attach falsies (clamp and hood without lever; typically salvaged from broken parts bin), or use (dirt cheap) old non aero road brake levers to make you're own interuptor levers (they used a large barrel shaped cable end; the cable housing can go right where the old cable end would).

Try a good road bike. Find out if drops are what you really want.

If you want a new road bike, decide what you want to do with the hybrid:
Sell it; recoup as much of the cost as you can to offset the expense of the new bike
Keep it as is as a backup/beater bike
Make it a project bike; enjoy a test bed for new, wonderful, potentially wacky and insane ideas

I rather favor that last option. Given your drawings I hope you do to. Experimentation may be treacherous, but if people don't try new things there can be no progress.

But first things first: find out if a normal new road bike is what you want. Find a way to go ride one. And please, report back.

P.S.
You could turn you hybrid into a fixed gear. You could even do a drop bar conversation and not have the worry about shifters. A new wheel isn't especially cheap, but cheaper than a good new bike.
If you have vertical dropouts check out eccentric hubs and magic gears.

Last edited by NightShift; 07-06-10 at 09:31 AM. Reason: edited for typos