Old 07-07-10, 09:59 AM
PinkFloyd1109

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Downie
I don't think you have anything to worry about - you've already had a few good days in the saddles so you'd be aware by now if there were any serious discomfort issues. Your schedule doesn't sound too gruelling either so your legs will be fine, and you'll be able to take your time and stop for a break any time you like.

Will you be camping (and carrying heavy luggage) or staying in accommodation along the way? if it's the former, take a small pack of moist baby wipes with you - they're great for soothing a sore posterior after a long day.

I'd avoid doing anything 'different' to the training rides you've done so far - for example, if your training rides have been in normal shorts without padding, and you haven't experienced discomfort, then I think it'd be a mistake to start wearing padded shorts on the first day of your tour (tempting as it might be) because they completely change the way the saddle feels, and change the pressure points.

Enjoy it! If you don't mind me preaching a wee bit, I think too many people regard the destination as their goal and aren't happy if they don't clock-up the 'right' number of miles on any given day. In my opinion, it's better to forget about mileage and enjoy the riding, enjoy being part of the landscape, enjoy the folk you meet - the whole experience of it.

Have a great trip.
Thanks for the response! We'll be staying indoors the whole way there (no camping... we'll do one adventure at a time). We've been using padded biking shorts for our training rides, so we'll keep using those.

I agree with your view on the journey being the important part. We plan to explore small towns and take lots of pictures. We were hoping to have a solid estimate of the miles, though, so we can make reservations where needed for our nightly stops. Also, we'll have to get to DC on the right day so we can take the train back to Pittsburgh with pre-purchased tickets.

Thanks again for the advice!