View Single Post
Old 07-08-10, 08:05 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What on God's green Earth are you carrying!?!?!?

I remember Schwinn Varsitys being quite heavy by themselves and not too well suited for much of anything, even by the standards of 1972.

Carrying half again your own body weight is just not going to be pleasant for any distance, certainly not for 10,000 miles. Doing it on a 40 year old clunker that was at the trailing edge of technology in its time isn't going to help.

I suppose if you replaced the "gas-pipe" steel frame with a modern chrome-moly steel frame, and replaced the single piece cotterless steel Ashtabula crank with a modern 3 piece cotterless crank and bottom bracket, and replaced the steel rims and hubs and galvanized steel spokes with modern aluminum alloy hubs and rims and stainless steel spokes, and replaced the 5 speed freewheel with a 7, 8 9 or 10 speed cassette, and replaced those worthless stamped steel brakes with alloy cantilevers or V-brakes... well, you get the idea. The Schwinn Varsity wasn't the best choice around for a tour in 1972 (although plenty of people crossed the country on them and had a great time doing it, mostly because they didn't know any better), and the years haven't made it any better. Bicycles have advanced somewhat in the last four decades, why not take advantage of some of the current technology.

Sorry if I seem negative or elitist or anything like that, but I really can't help but think that you'll have a much better time if you lose at least 1/2 of your luggage weight and get yourself a machine built sometime in the current century. The load you propose to carry would tax any cyclist and any bicycle that's ever been built, let alone a low budget machine like your Schwinn Varsity.