View Single Post
Old 04-28-05, 10:34 AM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you intend to ride the bike many miles, upgrade components. some items that match specific the frame (stem,bb,seatpost)are often sized that they cannot be swapped out.
One of the reasons i don't run a suspension fork on my mtb, the headset and fork are working perfectly fine, both 15 yrs old, if\when the fail, they will be replaced with a better system.
Unless your new\old bike came with Campy group, I personally like riding new components, and I built my bike to @ least 5 yrs.
I'll give it to my daughter when she's big enough to ride it.

The bigger consideration is if the bb\headset swap is worth the bikes 'rideability'.
And if any internal corrosion has gone too far.
Then get the frame checked for straightness. I keep a stash of old cool retro parts to keep the bike looking in period.
But some stuff HAS to be updated, or replaced often =I prefer to update rather then maintain a reduntant system.
A system running needs not be replaced, that would be..well, redundant.

You have to change the pads\tires\cables\drive components\saddle\peddles\balls on any bike that is being run lots and is going to run any long time.
I do it on a skanky old chromoly frame because alu has a low survival rate longterm.

75% of the components could be swapped to a new frame if this one was un-repairable. Depending on how bad, I would have the frame rebuilt probably if minor\repairable damage.