View Single Post
Old 07-11-10, 11:57 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
This is another example of how newbies and casual riders can get worked up over something that more serious riders simply ignore.

There might be theoretical benefits of one crank length over another, and it might be germane if the OP were riding at a competitive level on a bike at a similar level, but the fact is that he's a casual cyclist, riding a mid-level bike and any subtle difference is irrelevant for the his/her purposes.

The irony is that folks on this forum engage in long debates on issues that professional competitive cyclists don't care about. Pro's routinely accept sponsor or team supplied equipment, knowing full well that in the final analysis riding is more about the engine than the vehicle.

I'm not invested in your bike, and don't care what you end up with, but if you want the advice of someone with 40+ years experience at all levels within the bike industry, buy the bike and ride it as is, and forget you ever went to these fit sites. Once you have it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in the first place.

BTW- has anyone noticed that this bike has a suspension seatpost with travel greater than the difference in crank diameters.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.