View Single Post
Old 07-11-10, 01:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
Wellll . . . title was "Need 165mm mountain crank for hybrid ." ... I chose 165 for my last road bike and liked it a lot. I just checked my current hybrid and it's got a 175, to my great surprise.

Also I wanted to test my assumption that 165 would be better, and I appreciate the variety of opinions, based on people's idrect experience. If I can't find a 165 I won't worry about it.
I think the first part of your post makes my point that it doesn't make a material difference. You've been riding longer cranks and didn't even know it.

But here's my more serious point. I post on forums out of a moral sense of obligation to help newer riders, and share the benefits of knowledge and my 40+ years of experience. I've little or no interest in debates with people who've already made up their minds, which is why I never debate politics, religion, or chain lube (which is my business).

If you'd simply asked "where can I find....." I would have let someone with specific knowledge answer. But you came on as (seemingly) a newbie, and others and myself endeavored to save you time and money by saying that for your purposes it didn't matter.

If you want advice, ask for it, if you want to start a debate on the relative merits of something say, "I've been using ... and am considering a change to ... because I want to improve .... . Then folks can write to that point if they want to, and others can pass and give their time to help someone who genuinely needs it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.