View Single Post
Old 07-11-10, 04:15 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
First of all, don't start early. I know some people do it, but the race organizers, sag, and law enforcement really don't want it to happen. For one thing, the faster people will have to pass you and the rest stops won't be ready. They stage the riders and get everybody off pretty quick. Last year, on the tandem, I was pedaling within about a block or so. There has been some talk of delaying people who show up ahead of the race group with a number on their helmet. So don't do it.

Get there at least 1/2 hour before start time. I'd recommend lining up with the 6 to 7 hour time group. Enjoy the start. It's fun. Take a camera and take some pictures. When you get out west of town on the rolling plains you'll have the opportunity to see two or three miles in each direction, with bikes as far as you can see. Enjoy the sight.

After the 10 mile rest stop, don't skip anymore of them. The stops gets progressively closer and closer together as you get near the end, with more and more facilities for "cooling down" riders. This is one really nice feature the HHH if you are struggling or hot.

Also, if it's too hot and humid they close Hell's Gate at 62 miles earlier than 12:30 PM. This is a decision made by a sport physician based upon temperature and humidity. They then route the riders back to WF for about 85 miles rather than 103 or so. I've seen Hells Gate closed at 10 AM (three years ago, I think) and I've seen start temps in the 60's (last year).

If you can't make it all the way there are numerous ways to bail out, including getting a SAG to haul you close to the finish and letting you ride in.

It's a fun day but it is, usually, hotter than hell. Remember that Wichita Falls will usually check in with the nations highest temperature a few times every year, along with Laredo, Phoenix and places like that.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 07-11-10 at 04:21 PM.